Miss Universe 2009, the 58th Miss Universe pageant will be held at the Atlantis Paradise Island, in Nassau, Bahamas on August 23, 2009. Miss Universe 2008, Dayana Mendoza from Venezuela, will crown her successor at the end of this event. 86 countries and territories will compete for the title and the pageant will broadcast live on NBC and Telemundo.
National pageant notes
Returning countries and territories
- Romania last competed in 1998.
- Ethiopia, Iceland, Northern Marianas and Sweden last competed in 2006.
- Bulgaria, Guyana, Lebanon and Zambia last competed in 2007.
- Sweden: In 2005, Sweden did not send a representative to the Miss Universe pageant for the first time ever since the pageant started in 1952. They were also absent in 2007 and 2008. The winner of this year's Miss Universe Sweden pageant is expected to represent the country in the Bahamas.
- Vietnam: According to the new rules of hosting beauty pageants in Vietnam, the Miss Universe Vietnam contest was postponed for 2009. Vietnam decided between two possible choices to send to the Bahamas: Vo Hoang Yen, Miss Universe Vietnam 2008 first runner-up and Phan Thi Ngoc Diem, Miss Tourism Vietnam 2008. Finally, Vo Hoang Yen became the official nominee to compete in Miss Universe 2009.
MISS UNIVERSE 2008
EXPECTED MISS UNIVERSE 2009 CONTESTANT
EKTA CHOUDHRY (Age 23 / 177cm)
ZIVANNA LETISHA SIREGAR (Age 20 / 178cm)
DIANA DONNELY (Age 20 / 175cm)
YULIA LIUBIANITZKI (Age 20 / 176cm)
LAURA VALENTI (Age 25 / 175cm)
EMIRI MIYASAKA (Age 25 / 171cm)
OLGA NIKITINA (Age 20 / 184cm)
REE NA (Age 22 / 168cm)
MARIGONA DRAGUSHA (Age 18 / 173cm)
MARTINE ANDRAOS (Age 18 / 174cm)
JOANNABELLE NG (Age 21 / 174cm)
ANAIS VEERAPATREN (Age 22 / 183cm)
KARLA CARRILLO (Age 21 / 176cm)
MARIANA MIHAJLOVIC (Age 19 / 180cm)
AVALON-CHANEL WEYZIG (Age 19 / 174cm)
KATIE TAYLOR (Age 22 / 175cm)
INDIANA SANCHEZ (Age 21 / 177cm)
SORENE MARATITA (Age 18 / 168cm)
ELI LANDA (Age 25 / 176cm)
DIANA BROCE (Age 22 / 170cm)
MAREIKE BAUMGARTEN (Age 20 / 174cm)
KAREN SCHWARZ (Age 24 / 178cm)
PAMELA BIANCA MANALO (Age 22 / 178cm)
ANGELIKA JAKUBOWSKA (Age 20 / 175cm)
MAYRA MATOS (Age 20 / 178cm)
ELENA BIANCA CONSTANTIN (Age 20 / 174cm)
SOFIA RUDIEVA (Age 18 / 178cm)
DRAGANA ATLIJA (Age 21 /180cm)
DENISA MENDREJOVA (Age 22 / 175cm)
MIRELA KORAC (Age 22 / 171cm)
TATUM KESHWAR (Age 24 / 181cm)
RENATE CERLJEN (Age 21 / 175cm)
WHITNEY TOYLOY (Age 19 / 178cm)
ILLUMINATA JAMES (Age 23 / 178cm)
CHUTIMA DURONGDEJ (Age 23 / 177cm)
SENEM KUYUCOUGLU (Age 18 / 184cm)
JEWEL SELVER (Age 22 / 157cm)
KRISTINA KOTZ-GOTLIB (Age 26 / 175cm)
CINTIA DOTTONE (Age 20 / 179cm)
KRISTEN DALTON (Age 22 / 170cm)
STEFANIA FERNANDEZ (Age 18/ 178cm)
VO HOANG YEN (Age 20 / 179cm)
ANDELLA CHILESHE MATTHEWS (Age 21 / 178cm)
UPCOMING NATIONAL PAGEANTS
- Rosarita Tawil, the original representative from Lebanon, got replaced by Martine Andraos to compete in Miss Universe 2009.
- For the first time, the Bahamas will host the Miss Universe pageant. The hosting nation has never had a semifinalist.
- Nicosia Lawson (Cayman Islands), and Mariana Mihajlović (Montenegro) competed in Miss World 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa on December 13, 2008. They were all unplaced.
- Zeynep Sever (Belgium), Chloé Mortaud (France), Olga Nikitina (Kazakhstan), Anaïs Veerapatren (Mauritius) and Tatum Keshwar (South Africa) will compete in Miss World 2009in Johannesburg, South Africa on December 12, 2009.
- Pamela Bianca Manalo (Philippines) is the sister of Miss World 2002 top 10 finalist Katherine Ann Manalo where she represented Philippines also.
- Croatia was interested in hosting Miss Universe 2009 but they backed out of the project due to economic problem.
- Kiara Sherman (Bahamas) was Miss Teen Bahamas 2000-2001 and is an indie musical artist in her country.
- Melat Yante (Ethiopia) is the current Ethiopia's Next Top Model.
- Mariana Valente (Canada) was born in Brazil and moved to Canada at the age of 12.
- Elham Wagdi (Egypt) has competed in Miss Earth 2005, Miss International 2006, and Miss Intercontinental 2007 (where she was a semi-finalist). She was the 1st Runner-up in the Miss Egypt 2005 pageant.
- Sorene Maratita (Northern Marianas) will compete in Miss International 2009 in Macau on November 7, 2009.
- Ada de la Cruz (Dominican Republic) competed in Miss World 2007 and won the Beach Beauty Award, which gave her an automatic semi-finalist spot that year. She is also the second woman of black African heritage to win the national crown.
- Andella Chileshe Matthews (Zambia) was Miss Zambia UK in 2008. Andella is also the first Miss Zambia, of mixed black/white heritage, to win the Miss Zambia Universe title.
- Iveta Lutovská (Czech Republic) previously held the title of Miss Model of the World 2007.
- Mayra Matos (Puerto Rico) previously held the title of Miss Teen International 2006.
- Zeynep Sever (Belgium) was born in Turkey.
- Stefanía Fernández (Venezuela) is of Ukrainian, Galician and Polish origin.
- Chloé Mortaud (France), is half African American and half French. Chloé is the first Miss France of dual nationality (American and French).
- JoannaBelle Ng Li Vun (Malaysia) won 2009 Sabah’s Top Model Search, has appeared in numerous fashion shows, print advertisements and television commercials. She was one of Seventeen magazine’s Cover Girl Search finalists in September 2005, and named as one of FHM magazine’s Girl Next Door Top 10. Her distinct Chinese-Indian looks also saw her emerging as 1st runner up in the 2008 Miss Cheong Sam Malaysia competition.
- Zsuzsa Budai (Hungary), is half Jamaican.
- Avalon-Chanel Weyzig (Netherlands), is half Indonesian.
- Whitney Toyloy (Switzerland), has an African American father, a paternal great grandfather who was Chinese, a Swiss mother and family in Panama.
- Rachel Kum (Singapore) was a finalist in the Newpaper Newface 2007 Competition. She's also the winner for the Newman Magazine Model Search in 2007. In 2008, she was also chosen as the La Formula Una Girl.
- Clair Cooper (United Kingdom) represented England at Miss Earth 2007.
- Tatum Keshwar (South Africa) is of Black African, Indian, and White descent.
- Sandra Vinces (Ecuador) placed Top 10 at Miss Top Model of the World 2008.
- Emiri Miyasaka (Japan) placed 2nd runner-up at Miss International Japan 2008.
- Võ Hoàng Yến (Vietnam) was the winner of Vietnam Supermodel 2008.
- Zivanna Letisha Siregar (Indonesia) competed in Elite Model Look Asia Pacific 2006.
- Last July, investor Jonathan Westbrook tried to get Australia to host Miss Universe 2009 but his efforts were in vain as the possible venues were not interested.
- Donald Trump had intentions on holding the 2009 pageant in Dubai, but backed out due to the political instability regarding relations between the United Arab Emirates and Israel.